Tuesday, March 24, 2009

crochet hairpin lace scarf

Last time we spoke, I was wanting to block this project... but the iron had not been seen since Mr Goldfish put it away for me. Well, I checked all of the obvious places and then gave up looking.

I conceded defeat, and asked the big question...

me: Huuuuunnnnn.... where's the iron???

he: in the bathroom cabinet, under the sink


How foolish of me not to have looked there first...


close up


pattern used
hook used
  • 4.0mm crochet hook
  • 2" hairpin staple
  • pattern calls for a much larger size to be used, but the 2" staple was the largest available to me
yarn used
  • Red Heart Bijou in Diamond


hairpin lace scarf


thoughts
  • NEWSFLASH: if you are using a U-shaped hairpin crochet staple, you MUST remove the top bar prior to use... it is NOT a working part of the loom... it merely acts to keep your stitches from sliding off the loom when not in use! I learned this the HARD way!!! So a big thanks to my crochet buddy Dawn, who set me straight about this particular detail...
  • I discovered the hairpin lace is NOT DIFFICULT... most instructions just make it seem harder than they need to!
  • this pattern is available free to members of the Lisa's Designs group on Ravelry for the month of March... along with a couple of other hairpin lace patterns
  • although Lisa's instructions for the hairpin lace technique were very detailed... they just confused me!
  • there is an excellent video below, which many people have found helpful... but I still couldn't master the technique
  • in the end... the video below was the one which helped me figure out hairpin crochet

7 comments:

Jenny said...

How lovely, you have inspired me to do so much more!

Astaryth said...

I have always meant to learn Hairpin Lace, but have never gotten up the courage (or gumption) to give it a try. This scarf is sooo pretty I might have to give it a try. Everytime I've looked at instructions I've gotten discouraged, maybe with the videos I would be able to figure it out! LOL!

LittleMary said...

that is really pretty. i have to try it. have to buy those special hooks...

Cats-Rockin-Crochet said...

That is very pretty Purple, well done for trying the hair pin lace too.

Anonymous said...

I knew you would get the hang of it.. And look at you it turned out lovely.. Now you have learned a new crochet stitch to have fun with : )

Hummywinger

Beth said...

It looks beautiful.

Kelly Corder said...

The pattern link doesn't work for this anymore and I want to make it so badly! Would you be willing to send this pattern my way? Or tell me where I can obtain it? I'd really appreciate it. I just got my hairpin lace loom and I want to mske something beautiful :D