Friday, May 8, 2009

hint of spring

Here's the alternate square for the block-a-month crochet-along:

(and I promise, NO MORE SQUARES for a little while now... I'm even starting to bore myself with these!!!)

hint of spring

pattern used -

hook used -
  • pattern calls for a 4.5mm... I still haven't found mine, so I used a 4.0mm

yarn used -
  • pattern calls for worsted weight/10ply yarn
  • I used a variety of reclaimed DK/8ply yarns
  • rounds 1 & 2 - mid blue
  • round 3 - maroon
  • round 4 - dark burgundy
  • round 5 - cream
  • round 6 - brown and white fleck
  • round 7 - camel
  • round 8 - river gum green
  • round 9 - navy
  • round 10 - maroon
  • round 11 - cream
  • round 12 - brown and white fleck

thoughts -
  • this pattern was one that I really had to focus on... and follow the instrustions step-by-step
  • it's not difficult... you just need to work slowly
  • not sure if it was just the subtle differences in the yarns that I was working with, or just the way the pattern works up... but my square was very higgildy-piggildy... especially very 'bunched up' around the centre... meant to take some photos but I forgot!... but blocked nicely into the proper shape
  • I'm not delighted with the centre of my square... the blue feels a bit out of place, so I might add a little embroidery to the middle, just to tie it in better with the other colours
hint of spring - closeup

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loveing all the blocks, can't wait to see the finished product, hmmm a block a month, it's a while off finished huh! Still it's going to look great.

Sam said...

I like the blue, it seems to pop, but it's difficult to get a good view on this tiny screen :-)
I'd be interested to see how you alter it, because I have a square with the same problem and I was just going to rip it all out. (It's a little one)

The Linked In gadget at the bottom is doing a great job of showing all your squares.

Sam said...

Oh, that's weird. My reader sent these two posts in the wrong order. That explains why you said "this is the last square" then posted another one. You didn't!

It doesn't take much to confuse me, you know :-)

Neanner said...

I am an AVID reader to your blog. This is the first place I go when I need inspiration on something. Thank you for always being so helpful and inspiring!!!