Wednesday, January 16, 2008

fab-yarn... making fabric into yarn

ever wondered what to do with all of those fabric remnants you have stashed in the back of the cupboard? or your old sheets? pillowcases? nappies???

make them into fab-yarn, which can then be knit or crocheted any way you please... let your imagination guide you!

I finished my cheerful rag bag yesterday, and I adore it... think I'll work on a basket next

Here are some very simple instructions to help get you started making fab-yarn

or click here to discover a no-join method of cutting... ingenious!


1. firstly you will need to cut or tear your fabric into strips which are approximately an inch wide

(actually, after much experimenting I have found that I prefer my strips half an inch wide... and generally use an 8.0mm crochet hook)


2008_0116fabyarn0026

2. fold the end of the strip over
2008_0116fabyarn0028

3. make an incision, taking care not to get too close to the end of the strip
2008_0116fabyarn0032

4. now make an incision at the other end of each strip
2008_0116fabyarn0034

5. thread one strip through the other
2008_0116fabyarn0035

6. then bring the 'tail' of that strip through its own 'eye'
is this making any sense yet?
2008_0116fabyarn0037

7. slowly pull the strips in opposite directions
2008_0116fabyarn0038

8. continue to tighten, forming the join
2008_0116fabyarn0039

despite the fact that this 'join' looks bulky in the photos... it is fairly smooth to work through, and doesn't add any bulk to the finished product


11 comments:

Pam said...

That is such a good idea!!!

Amy said...

Thank you. I was wondering how to turn fabric into yarn - and now I know! I have been saving old t-shirts and other bits and pieces so now I am all set to go. Can't wait!

Cristina (a.k.a. "Stramenda") said...

I always wondered how this was done. I am seriously, no SERIOUSLY impressed. Thank you for showing me how its done !

Cristina (a.k.a. "Stramenda") said...

PS: what size hook do you use for these strips? My largest are 16mm and 20mm. Too big?

Cristina (a.k.a. "Stramenda") said...

PS PS: . . . and do you use (US) single or double crochet?

Sorry for all the questions :-)

laughing purple goldfish said...

I love questions :)

after much experimenting, what works best for me is to cut the strips approx half an inch wide, and use an 8.0mm hook... I generally work in (US) single crochet... hope that helps

also... take a look at my no-join method of cutting strips

http://laughingpurplegoldfish.blogspot.com/2008/06/no-join-method-of-cutting-fabric-strips.html

Tess said...

Having used this method I can highly recommend it. The joins are not too bulky at all. However, if you're using sheets and cut from one side to the other, you need to take off the hems. They do add bulk.

laughing purple goldfish said...

tess - thanks for the feedback and tips (and the pillowcase)

Nicole said...

Thank you so much for this!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the very clear instructions on joining the yarn!! It made what seemed like a daunting task very easy. Bless ya!

Teresa said...

I really like this method of joining. I have tons of material and this would be perfect for me to make use of them.