Friday, October 24, 2008

scrappy happy scarf...

Much as I love the elegance of those beaded scarves, I also adore the 'scrappy look'. I guess there's a time and a place for both, really. A dressier look for 'going out' and a more casual feel for 'running about'

These scrappy scarves aren't everyone's cup of tea. Mr Goldfish is really not a fan. He hasn't gone so far as to say that he hates them... but I can tell that he does! He can't cope with the unfinished look of the loose ends. As for me... I think they're FUN

And if you love the idea of a scrappy scarf, but would prefer to knit... click here to see the knitted version.

scrappy scarf

scrappy scarf - ends

Instructions:

These scarves are just as easy as they look! They're made using my crazy yarn
and an 8.0mm crochet hook. Work a row of chain stitches, the length you want the scarf to be. Then work a row of dc. At the end of each row, join in a new colour, leaving a tail which will become the tassel (just tie a firm knot to join) Then continue working in rows of dc, working between the posts (rather than into the top of the stitches) When you are happy with the width of the scarf... you are finished! Just trim the tassels, if desired.

Click here for more information on crazy yarn.

Below is a neck warmer. Made the same way as the scarf, just shorter... and worn with a pin to hold it in place. I think I worked this one on a 10.00mm hook, but it's a bit too 'gappy' for my liking. If I was to make another one, I would go down to a smaller size.

neckwarmer wirh pin

neckwarmer - closeup

So there they are, my scrappy scarves... not exactly elegant... but then again, neither am I!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the scrappy scarf!!! It has character :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the colors. I am learning so many new things. I have 5 balls of crazy yarn now. Thank you Purple for the wonderful ideas.

Sam said...

Poor Mr Goldfish, lol. The scarf looks very funky, I must have a go.
And I love your crazy yarn, I just don't have enough bits yet to try my own.

Anonymous said...

You are right about needing a scarf just for everyday running about. My beaded scarf sits on a shelf most of the time until I am dressed well enough to suit it. Most days I need something that would go with well-worn jeans ! Excellent concept !

CarMela said...

funny!! i love that red yarn...

can i add u into my link list?
=D

come visit us!

laughing purple goldfish said...

jacqui - thanks :)

sherryknit - isn't crazy yarn fabulous? you're welcome

sam - Mr Goldfish is a saint, isn't he?

stramenda - yes! and there's times when you need on that the kid's can't damage, too!

lana &amp - I'd love you to add me :) I called by your place and enjoyed looking through the photos, but english is my only language, so unfortunately I was a bit lost with the written content

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I love it, and it would match everything! I'll be linking to this.

Rodricano said...

Es genial!! es el summum de las bufandas rápidas y sencillas!! si no te importa la reproduciré en mi blog.
Saludos y gracias!!

laughing purple goldfish said...

rachel - it DOES go with everything... I think that's one of the things I love about it! always happy for you to link :)

anita - thank you... would love you to link to my blog

caroline said...

I actually bought a scarf like this (I couldn't resist, it was only $4), but I was thinking I should make some scrappy scarves of my own to use up all the leftover bits I've accumulated. I hate crochet, though-- perhaps this could be done on extra-large knitting needles?

laughing purple goldfish said...

caroline - I am working on a knitted one at the moment... should have some photos to show you next week

Anonymous said...

I, for one, love the scrappy scarf. :D

laughing purple goldfish said...

somewhatvoluble - what wonderful taste you have ;)

ZeCarlosM said...

Hi,
Your blog is quite interesting. I wonder if you would share with me how have you done the Bublle fish automatic translation..it would be great to have something like that working that way at my sightxperience.blogspot.com. Would You help me?
Obrigado in advance!

laughing purple goldfish said...

zecarlos - http://babelfish.yahoo.com/free_trans_service
if you go to this address, it will step you through the process... good luck!

Anonymous said...

I love this scarf! I pretty much only crochet scarves and I always make sure I have leftover yarn to make a scrappy something. So far the only scrappy thing I have made was a small blankie for Sadie the cat. I am sooo going to do a scarf now!

laughing purple goldfish said...

sadekat - a scarf will be easy, after doing a blanket... enjoy!

klutzytreehugger said...

love love love the scarf :D i'm making a silly scrappy blanket from all the patches i made when i was learning how to knit in 3rd grade...i'll put it on my blog. the scarf has so much character :)

klutzytreehugger

klutzytreehugger.blogspot.com
check out my site...patterns to come :)

Kyliie Kaye said...

I LOVED this!!! I got right to work on these two scraf and neckwarmers! I love them and all of your projects! You inspire me as just a teen!

-Kyliie

laughing purple goldfish said...

klutzytreehugger - I took a look at your blog, but couldnt find the photos you were talking about :(

kyliie - how wonderful... I love to be able to share my pasion for craft... especially using recycled materials, the things that other folk might just toss out!