Friday, October 31, 2008

revisiting the one-hour-scarf

Months and months ago I offered to help out with some charity scarves for Christmas...

Well, Christmas seemed such a long way off at the time... and then I got interested in other projects, and pushed the scarves to the back of my mind. All of a sudden it was time to think about handing them in... and I hadn't even started yet.

So I thought I'd just round up some of the scarves I have made recently, and use them... Only then I realised that I needed to send in MEN's scarves!

This is where the one-hour-scarf pattern definitely came in handy! I made a few modifications to the original pattern. Used 3 strands of yarn and an 8.0mm hook, starting out with 100 chain.

Click here for the original pattern

Are you familiar with that word game, where you have to change one letter in each row... until you have the new word? Maybe I'm not explaining it very well, but someone will know what I am talking about!

Anyway, to keep my interest in the scarves, I decided to play a colour game with myself. I chose three colours for the first scarf. Then removed one of those colours and added a new one for the second scarf. I kept changing just one colour each time, until I was back where I started.

charity 9 of 100

Maybe a visual will help.

See on the top right I have burgundy/navy/green... then below that is burgundy/navy/blue... then below that is burgundy/khaki/blue... etc.

Yes, I'm easily amused... but it got me through those nine scarves, and I can finally get them off my conscience.

16 comments:

heklica said...

I like these scarves very much, they make me wish for cold, wintry weather.

I've been wondering for some time now: How do you manage to do so much? I know it's an 8-mm hook and 3 strands of yarn with one-hour scarves but still... You almost have a project a day, or, in this case, 9 projects a day! :))) How do you do it? When do you find the time?

Linda said...

I think the changing of the colours makes the scarves very interesting.

Karen said...

With that progression of colours it feels as if you have created a 'family' of scarves - and added some fun to it. Have been wondering - since there seems to be some question about this - when you do a double crochet are you winding the yarn once or twice around the hook - here in Canada we wrap once for a double and twice for a treble but I have some notion of being told that in Britain (and beyond?) it is twice for a double and three times for a treble as suggested by the adjective. ????

Ribs said...

Excellent - perfect for the men on my Christmas list and by using my stash, should be pretty inexpensive too. The scarves you made look lovely and I understand about your colour "system" - that's the kind of thing I would go too!

Hazel said...

hey I like you style of writing. It is very clear and precise.The designs of the scarves are very sophisticated yet casual and cute. Keep up the good work. Keep blogging. All the best.

Please do check out my blogspot and please do leave your comments. The url is www.riddle-haze.blogspot.com

wineandroasts said...

Very happy to find your blog! I am always tickled to find good knitting blogs.

I am adding you to my Facebook blogroll to share the love!

Rangga Wi said...

Great Blog I think...
Recycling is good idea for save the nature....
mixedgreen

Alicia @ Oh2122 said...

I love the colors. I've been in search of good multi-color yarns but nothing is striking my fancy. I think I'll try this!

Steven Cruise said...

nice blog. keep up the good work! congrat on getting to the Blogs of Note.
credit card blog

Anonymous said...

hey, it is very interesting, I like those scarves a lot. I think I will need one of those for my trip to Japan. ^^

laughing purple goldfish said...

misha - thank you... I do craft a lot :) while watching tv, on the phone, waiting in the car to pick kids up from wherever, when catching up with friends, while supervising the kids at the park, and many nights I fall asleep with my craft in my hands... I really should go to bed earlier! mind you... I also like to choose small simple projects, because I do get bored easily, and I love to see quick results

crafty gardener - it's kind of fun the way they blend together, isn't it?

karen - most definitely a FAMILY of scarves! as for the terminology... I have adopted US terms, mostly because I learned a lot of my skills online and many of the patterns I use are online... and the majority of what is online is US terms... however many crocheters here in australia tend to use UK terms, so it does get very confusing at times!

cactus - they are a great stash buster project :) and I'm glad I'm not the only one out there with little 'systems'

hazel - thanks for stopping by

city girl - thank you for sharing the love!

goesgreens - mother nature would be proud :)

oh2122 - it's the perfect way to get exactly the multicolour look you are after

steven - thank you

japan - thanks for stopping by

Susannah said...

GREAT! However.....I'm a knitter. Any thoughts on pattern possibilities?

laughing purple goldfish said...

susannah - keep watching this blog... I'll post a pattern next week

Anonymous said...

very very good

Anonymous said...

Hi there (waving), why did you decide to modify the pattern? xxx Stra

laughing purple goldfish said...

stra - hellloooooo!

the original pattern makes quite a chunky scarf (as you can imagine, with 4 strands of yarn) I wanted something not quite as thick... so I dropped down to only three, and then dropped the hook size and increased the number of chain to accomodate the fact that I was working with a 'thinner' yarn