Friday, October 17, 2008

starting out - make it pink challenge

Since we are well into the month of October, I thought I better hurry up and get started on the CraftStylish Make It Pink Challenge. Mind you, I still hadn't had any further thoughts about what I should make.

So I went back to read over the challenge information. I discovered that if you submit a pink prayer shawl for the challenge, then they will make a much more substantial donation for breast cancer research. So I figured - why not? It's not like I had any better plans anyway.

Hmmm... now I need 12.75mm needles and some super bulky yarn...

As you know by now, I'm a bit of a WHATEVER girl! If I don't have what I need, I'll make use of WHATEVER I do have instead.

Which means I will be using 10mm needles and four strands of yarn worked together. Of course the yarn will need to be pink.

balls used

So here we have my selections...

strands

Firstly a pink/white 100% wool, recycled from this jumper:

original garment - pink ladies rib fitted knit

Next a purpley-pink mystery yarn... certainly feels like 100% wool, recycled from this cape:

original garment - pink ladies wool cape

Then a bright pink novelty ribbon yarn... recycled from this top:

original garment - pink ladies ribbon knit

The final yarn feels like an acrylic, although I haven't actually tested it. It came to me from a friend who was 'spring cleaning' and knows I love to salvage unloved yarns.

Check back tomorrow to see how the prayer shawl turns out...

10 comments:

Meryl said...

This is a beginner question, but how do you unwind your old sweaters to make yarn?

Thanks!

Kate said...

Thanks for posting the link to the craftstylish challenge. I hadn't seen it before. I've been endlessly knitting pink scarves to hand out to the breast cancer patients at the oncology clinic where I work. At this point a pink prayer shawl sounds like a nice change of pace!

Alicia @ Oh2122 said...

Yay! Another Make It Pink participant!

I love this idea, and I've also wondered where everyone gets their yarn to upcycle from.

Anonymous said...

I like the choice of yarns. Can't wait to see how it works up.

heklica said...

I saw the shawl at Make it pink challenge page :) and let me break the suspense a bit for those who haven't - it is gorgeous! I don't really like pink very much but when used with taste, it can really look great.

Cats-Rockin-Crochet said...

Is the craftystylish comp open to Aussies? I may have read it wrong. Cat.
Oooh lovely pinks too.

Cats-Rockin-Crochet said...

Oops, disregard what I said before. I know some of their contests wont take entrants from out side of the USA or Canada.
I'll just stick my nose some where else. LOL.

laughing purple goldfish said...

meryl - it's simply a matter of unpicking the seams and then unraveling the pieces... time consuming and messy, but very rewarding... I plan to add a post to my blog next week with some more detailed information... so check back again soon :)

craftykate - you're welcome... hope to see you make a submission to the challenge

oh2122 - keep watching, and I'll pass on lots of information about reclaiming yarn

jacqui - thank you :)

misha - you've been peeking!!! thank you for the beautiful feedback

cat - you and your nose are always welcome here... you know that! lol!

Sam said...

I can't wait to see how it comes out too - 4 yarns! Cool.
I was inspired to finally try recycling an old sweater into yarn. It didn't take too long in the end, but I kept getting tangled up. Won't make the same mistakes again, lol. (I hope!)

laughing purple goldfish said...

sam - woo hoo! so pleased to hear you gave recycling yarn a bash!!! it is a learning process, I'm still learning now... but find it totally addictive, too :)