Thursday, October 9, 2008

turn! turn! turn!

We're taking a flashback to the sixties here, with a song recorded by The Byrds.

Yes... I know it was well before I was born... but I have had this song playing on repeat in my head for the past week or so...

To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

To everything - la, la, la....

A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together

To everything - la, la, la....

A time of war, a time of peace
A time of love, a time of hate
A time you may embrace
A time to refrain from embracing

To everything - la, la, la....

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time of peace, I swear it's not too late!


Wondering what any of this has to do with craft???

Well, the last couple of weeks have NOT been my season for craft. I've made a few attempts here and there, but I don't seem to have the focus at the moment. Plus everything I work at just seems to be turning out so bleargh (yes - that's a technical term)

But I did find myself wanting to play with yarn. Just feeling it under my fingers takes me to my 'happy place'. I find it soothing and calming and relaxing.

So, since it was obviously not my time for making anything... I settled for some un-making instead. I reclaimed yarn from five whole garments, and a few odds and ends...

There's just on three kilograms of yarny goodness here... so that should keep me going for a while!

reclaimed yarns

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I going to regret reading this? That song is now going through my head!!! reminds me of Forrest Gump.
I love the yarn, espicially the lime green one, so pretty.

Alicia @ Oh2122 said...

Ah, yes. Bleargh, from the Latin bleargus. Loosely translated, "Did the cat get ahold of that?" Commonly associated with blech and urgh.

I am facinated with upcycling yarn. I'm wondering if there is a threshold for what to use. Are you using garments that are unusable or unmendable in some way?

laughing purple goldfish said...

jacqui - perhaps we should sing a duet???

oh2122 - sometimes, but not necessarily! I'll give anything a go... but most are in reasonable condition, but outdated styles

Anonymous said...

Sure, a duet. can I mime? LOL trust me the real thing aint pretty. :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice work ! I love the winding too . . . it looks so neat !

laughing purple goldfish said...

stramenda - sometimes it almost seems a shame to use the yarn... it looks so pretty just as it is !