Saturday, July 9, 2011

round ripple baby afghan

12 point ripple blanket

For a while there, I was expecting to spend the last six weeks of my pregnancy in hospital. I had been told to make all necessary arrangements, and have myself packed and ready to go...

And do you know what the hardest part was?

Packing clothes and toiletries were easy...

Selecting reading material was easy...

Organising care for the three other children was easy...

The hardest part was choosing which craft projects to take with me!!!

The thing was... I was quite healthy - so I knew that I would be bored out of my brain if I didn't take my craft along with me...

But how much should I take???

I mean, I was going to have all day... every day... for six weeks... to craft to my heart's content. No washing. No cleaning. No cooking. No children!

I was so worried that I might run out if I didn't take enough along with me!

Anyway, I bundled up a number of projects and squeezed them into a bag. Then, feeling rather sorry for myself, I decided that I needed some more!

So I went shopping...

Real shopping...

For NEW yarn! (shock, horror)

I've been wanting to make this round ripple blanket for a while now. In fact, it has been in my Ravelry queue since 2008! At that point I was thinking I would make it for a gift, but now I had a need for one myself! I also had a number of gift vouchers to use up, so I took myself along to Lincraft to check out the baby yarn there...

I found the gorgeous range of Shepherd yarns, and chose the 4ply Baby Wool Merino in a number of bright colours. It felt so decadent to buy brand new yarn after so many years of recycling, but to be honest, I loved every minute of it!

12 point ripple blanket

So the pattern is Lyn's Round Ripple Baby Afghan. I used the 4ply yarn with a 3.0mm hook, and it came up beautifully. As you can see, I started with a solid red centre, and then just randomly worked each round in a different colour. To finish off I worked several rounds in the red again, with a final round of hdc as suggested in the pattern.

The only down side to all those colour changes, is the end which need woven in. And I have a confession to make...

I still have some ends left!

12 point ripple blanket

13 comments:

heklica said...

Saying 'it's beautiful!' would be a serious understatement!

Mangala said...

Its GORGEOUS!!!

Guanaja Sharon said...

Beautiful and congratulations again! I have found an easier way to tuck in the ends when changing colors. After I have changed color I take out my hook and go into the back loop of each stitch in front of where I changed the color and pull the hanging thread of the previous color through each back loop for about 10 stitches - or less, if the thread is short. Then I go back to my first stitch and work on. By working this thread into the back loop and then crocheting over it I'm usually guaranteed that it will not pull out later! Try it - takes a minute but is far easier than going back ang weaving!

L said...

Beautiful and enjoy the new little one!

bec said...

Wow, it is stunning! I've knitted mine a beanie in that wool, it's beautiful! Well, painful to knit rib in, but worth it in the end! Did you end up in hospital? when I was working on the antenatal ward at the 'old' Women's I met a few mums- to- be craftinig, I was always so jealous! That's terrible, isn't it? But I thought like you, no housework, cleaning etc- and this was before kids! I hope she treasures her special blankie.

Jacquie said...

Hi Sharon this blanket is totally stunning . I'm linking to this post. Hope you don't mind :0)
Jacquie x

Jacinta said...

wow .... that is absolutely stunning (seen via link on Bunny Mummy)

Claire said...

What a stunning blanket, I love it.

I'm sure it will become a family heirloom, with an interesting story behind it.

I'm visiting via Jacquie's link, nice to 'meet' you.

Claire :}

Casey said...

Your blanket is seriously beyond gorgeous!! Your color choices are great!

Susan H. said...

This is very nice. I am also visiting via Jacquie's link. I will be visiting again to see your other great creations!
xo Susan

psmflowerlady/tammy said...

Congratulations on your beautiful crfeation. The blanket is nice too.

Kathy said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! Reminds me of a Mexican blanket w/ all the colors. What a lucky little girl she is.

Kyliie said...

That is sooooo pretty! I am going to have to make one :)