Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Jeepers... Creepers...

PC150006

My children are OBSESSED with an online game called Minecraft...

They've tried to share the love with me - but try as I might, I just can't get remotely interested in it!

One of the most easily recognisable characters from the game is called a CREEPER.

The Creeper is an infamous, green-camouflaged, near-silent exploding mob that will chase players and hiss for 1.5 seconds before blowing up. Unlike Zombies and Skeletons, Creepers will not catch fire in direct sunlight meaning they can wander around unharmed day and night, and are still aggressive. Underground or on the surface, creepers will spawn at night and in dimly lit locations with a light level of 7 or less.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Creeper

Did that jibberish mean anything to you??? No... me either...

But I don't need to understand exactly WHAT a Creeper is, I just need to know what they look like...

So I can make one, of course!

I've been doing my research, and even created a Pinterest board of images to refer to when designing the toy.

The Creepers have a very boxy appearance, so the original plan was to to purchase some foam rubber and have it cut into cubes to use as inserts for my crochet 'skin', but I really wanted to use something recycled.

Then when a parcel arrived the other day with some styrofoam packing sheets, I knew exactly what I was going to do.

PC160007

First I glued the sheets together to form thicker blocks, then cut them into the required shapes using a Bread Knife (as you do)

The edges were quite crumbly, so I taped around them to hold it all together neatly.

PC160011

You can see it starting to take shape now. It's time to start on the skin!

No comments: