I took it away camping with me, and my friends affectionately dubbed it 'the tea cosy'. The name has stuck, and now that's how I refer to it too.
The background is a bit busy in the photo, but it give you an idea of how it turned out:
- Town and Country Capelet from the Lion Brand Yarn Website
- 9.0mm hook... just like the pattern asks for!
- assorted reclaimed yarns in neutral earthy colours
- the pattern calls for a 12ply/bulky yarn... but I have used 2 strands of 8ply/DK worked together
- I changed colours randomly throughout
- by only changing one colour/strand at a time, the harsh stripey effect is lessened, and the colours blend more smoothly as they change
- I made a few modifications to the pattern
- instead of the trim in the pattern, I made my capelet a bit longer... and then added a contrasting round of sc around the bottom edge... working inside out, so the the 'wrong side' of the sc trim would be showing
- the neck felt a bit too open... so I pisked up the stitches around the top and worked a few rounds in the same stitch as the body of the capelet
- I then folded over the neck, forming a collar... and added a trim to match the bottom
- although the finished garment is probably a bit larger than a true capelet... it's perfect for my needs... I love wearing it!