Friday, June 11, 2010

what I'm reading this week

P6040016

Of course I'm still here.

You didn't think that a pesky permanent job was going to keep me from blogging, did you? Or crafting for that matter?

There's no way I could stay sane without my craft... so NO plans on giving that away... EVER!

This week I've been reading through a fascinating book on altered shoes. Now, I'm not sure that it is really my 'thing' but the recycling aspect of taking an old pair of shoes and turning them into a new and inspired piece of art really appealed to me.

But I don't know if I would ever wear them.

Mind you, it looks like a fun experiment anyway.

Basically, it just seems to be 'cut and paste' for shoes. Using fabric, paper, paint, ribbon... whatever.

Altered Shoes by Marty Stevens-Heebner
click here for the website

P6040019

Some shoes in the book have been decorated with photos. The idea was to commemorate a trip to Africa, so photos and other memoribilia were used in the process.

P6040021

Unusual, but quirky - and very personal...

There's loads of clear step-by-step photographs to guide you along the way... and I love the 'tips, tricks and crazy things to try' sections which the author has scattered throughout the book.

P6040018

An interesting book to flick through - but I don't know if I'll be altering shoes any time soon. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if the quote on the front of the book was what really drew me to it. See on the toe of the main shoe pictured?

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life - Picaso

What do you think? Does it?

3 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

First of all I am glad you are not going anywhere and that pesky little job won't consume all your job. I checked out this book from my local library, like you I am not sure I'll be altering any shoes in the near future. The book is wonderfully written with great pictures so if it is something you would like to do check it out.
Debbie

Sharon Maher said...

debbie... agree totally!

Kyliie said...

I want to get my hands on this book! Glad you arent stopping blogging :)