So I finished the cabochon I was working on... featuring the photo of Mum.
The beads were probably a bit too heavy for the project - but they're exactly the look that I was after...
Because of their weight, they do tend to fall to the back of the piece. I had thought about mounting it onto a fabric covered block of wood for support, but when I tested it out, I didn't like the 'rectangleness' of it. I much prefer the softness of the beaded crochet edging...
So I've decided to leave well enough alone.
Since the plan is to hang the piece, I hope that whatever is behind it will provide the support.
If not, then I can always add an extra backing to it at a later date.
Here's how it looks from behind. You can see that I've just added a metal ring to the back, so that it can be hung (as you would a picture frame)
At first I had it pinned to the family notice board, but that didn't seem to be quite the right spot...
And for now the piece is attached to a basket at the top of my bookcase. It's the basket where I keep all of the yarn which has been reclaimed from Mum's jumpers - to keep it separate from the rest of my stash, so I can use it for SPECIAL projects, like the Nan bear.
Not convinced that this is where she will stay - but it is home for now!