Sunday, September 14, 2008

a cat for Our Cat

Okay... so this one is a new project, but it's just a little one...

Then, I promise I will get back to finishing those items in the red case!

closeup

One of my 'crochet friends' is going through a very difficult time at the moment in regards to her health. Cat is one of the moderators of the Crochet Lovers Victoria forum over at Ravelry, and a very active member of the group. She is kind and generous, and always willing to share her crafting expertise. Click here to take a look at her blog. She has quite a number of free patterns on offer there. If you are a member at Ravelry, you can see her designs here

We wanted to do something nice for Cat, to let her know that we care and are thinking about her. So a number of us are working on 12 inch crochet squares to make into an afghan for her.

Mine is a very basic 'granny square' which I have embellished with a cat! The face is cut from a felted jumper, with buttons for the eyes and nose, and lots of pink 'seed beads' to decorate the ears. I've added a jingle bell around the neck, which I love... but I have attached it separately, just in case Cat wants to remove it... it might drive her batty!

square

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH-MY-GOSH! That is seriously an adorable square! You know, embellishing a simple granny square is such a perfect way to "kick it up a notch" and now you're giving me MORE ideas than I need right now.

We are all cat lovers in my family (siamese cats, to be exact). I can just imagine a neato blanket made entire of granny squares with siamese cat appliques.

Great job! Thanks for sharing!

Cats-Rockin-Crochet said...

Um' I think the cat is out of the bag.
So, so, so, so, so, cute, cute, cute!
As you know I am an avid reader and a fan of your blog, so you are all officially busted!
The cat is out of the bag and I know what you are all up to. He,he, he. I fell so special!
I'm a spoilt cat, so to speak, you don't know how much this means to me and how it makes me feel. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to one and all.

Unknown said...

That's such a lovely thought, and a beautiful square.

I've re-discovered your blog and am having a great time catching up!

laughing purple goldfish said...

leslie - I do like to keep things simple, but cute... so I thought it was perfect to stick with a basic granny square... and then add a little cuteness to it :)

love your siamese blanket idea... that would look amazing

cat - OI! YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ONLINE!!!! THE CAT IS DEFINITELY OUT OF THE BAG... BUSTED BIG TIME :)

fitknit - thanks... hope I can inspire you with some recycled crafting ideas

Anonymous said...

You did do a great job on this, especially the seed beads . . . extremely creative work !

laughing purple goldfish said...

stramenda - the seed beads were quite fun and suprisingly effective