Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I have a rear end...

Really... I do!

I really wanted to start with the hook holder section of the bird, because that was going to require the most thought. I wanted to be able to insert the hooks randomly into any part of the 'rear end', rather than having specific holes for each one.

Most of the peacock will be stuffed like a toy, but I didn't want to be stabbing hooks into the stuffing, so I had to come up with a different plan for the rear...

001

so I have crocheted a rectangle...

002

folded it in half lengthways...

003

and rolled it up like a swiss jam roll... I've just pinned it in place for the moment, but will stitch it together before I move on to the next step. It is only rolled loosely, so that I will be able to add some weights to the bottom later if I need to for balance.

004

See all those holes in the roll? Crochet hooks can be inserted into any of those, then deep into the centre of the roll. They are held quite securely in place.

So you might not be able to visualise it just yet but this is the back of the bird. Next I will move onto the front...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the vibrant blue colour. I was wondering how you were going to create the tail end of it. Looks good can't wait to see the next installment.

Anonymous said...

This will be interesting !

Anonymous said...

Okay, now you have me thinking. Which way will the roll sit? I'm thinking spiral up.

Anonymous said...

No I've changed my mind, it's laying flat, because I went back and re read what you wrote LOL.

laughing purple goldfish said...

jacqui - I was wondering that too!!! fingers crossed it works out... if not, I'll have to explore another avenue

stramenda - keep watching

hooked - I hadn't even considered spiral up... that would definitely be another option which could work just as well

Karen said...

I think in one post you mentioned coloured tin cans where you live so I am imagining you also have coloured crochet hooks and this is going to make one stunning tail.... The heading on this post got me chuckling.

Nathalanes Place said...

Really good, I'm impressed. I can't leave a comment for the progress you made on the 23rd so I'm leaving it. go go go girl.

laughing purple goldfish said...

karen - no, we don't have coloured tin cans here... ooooohhhhh.... wish we did... imagine the fun you could have

nathalie - thanks for the encouragement :)