Thursday, September 4, 2008

easy peasy video tape bag

I've been on a bit of a roll with the easy peasy crochet bag pattern of late... so I'm going to test it out using the magnetic tape from the video cassette.

1

Using a single strand of tape and a 5.0mm crochet hook.

I have to tell you, the tape is VERY SQUEAKY to work with. I find it more difficult and slower to work with than plarn or rags. On the upside, the preparation is much quicker than plarn and rags, so I guess it all works out in the end.

But it is really noisy... and it's one of those irritating 'fingernails on a blackboard' kind of sounds... which I find tolerable, but only in small bursts!

I'm thinking for a future project, I might ply together some video tape with regular plarn and try working with that. I'll add it to my ever-growing list of 'things to try one day'

The tape 'sticks' a bit, too. I keep wanting to powder my hands with some talc (which I sometimes do when working with plarn) but the tape has such a fabulous sheen to it, which I don't want to lose.

1

Base is complete - 5sc across, 20 rows long

3

Working on the sides

4

Sides complete after 15 rounds of sc.

This has created a small clutch style bag... and only used one spool of tape, which surprised me. I really thought it would take a lot more than that.

5

A crab stitch edging, using regular (recycled) yarn.

6

A twisted rope handle using the black yarn with some gold thread.

7

A clip on earring to embellish.

8

Voila... now it just needs a lining.

14 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow, very impressive and an original idea - I would never have thought of using video tape.

Anonymous said...

I like it. It looks good! I reckon it would look great as a crochet bowl on a coffee table with some of those cane decorative balls inside it or even candles. It has stunning artistic qualities with that sheen.

laughing purple goldfish said...

wendy - thanks... although I can't take credit for the idea itself, since I have heard of others working with VHS tape... have to say though, it is very much an alternative yarn!

laughing purple goldfish said...

jacqui - ohhhh... I'm really liking the bowl idea... and I have SO many tapes to use still :)... I think I will HAVE to try that

heklica said...

It looks fabulous, who would think video tape could make such a great yarn. Looking forward to that bowl :)

KAF said...

I love that bag. I can imagine getting heaps of use out of it - it looks so great!

Karen said...

Fantastic! What size is it? And is it a soft or 'sharp edged' texture?
I have used your easy peasy pattern on one completed project but need to find a 'prop' for it before I post and one is in progress using rope as the yarn to make a carry bag. What fun. What are you going to try next?!

Cats-Rockin-Crochet said...

Hi purple, that bag looks elegant. next time try a plastic hook, it should move smoother for you, or did you try one already? Well done once again, you smarty you.

laughing purple goldfish said...

misha - thanks... I have bowl plans ticking over in my head already

kaf - long time, no see... thanks for stopping by :)

karen - the bag is only small, slightly larger than a video cassette and it has a rough crinkly texture to it... glad you enjoyed the easy peasy pattern, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the rope version, sounds fabulous! what will I do next??? even I don't know the answer to that one! I must start writing down ideas for future projects... so much craft, so little time

cat - didn't try a plastic hook, ut I will definitely give that a go... thanks for the tip

Anonymous said...

You know, it took me this long to work out you actually used the TAPE from the video. I thought you used the video for sizing LOL !! Great work !!

Sincerely, Cristina
www.stramenda.com

laughing purple goldfish said...

stramenda - you are gorgeous! you've gotta keep thinking outside the square!!!

Lauria said...

This CRACKS me up. I can't believe you thought this up! How does it feel as a bag? I would think that it would be a bit owie with sharp edges of tape.

laughing purple goldfish said...

unfortunately I can't take the credit for being the first person to knit/crochet with magnetic tape... but there's not too many of us out there using it!

it's not too ouchie... it feels a bit like a plastic raffia when it is crocheted.. that being said, I wouldn't make a pillow out of it :)

Kathleen said...

So neat! So do you just crochet just like you would if it was yarn? Like a SC is still done the same and so on? I have an enormous box of old video tapes in my basement. I may have to try my hand at making a bag. Do you know how many tapes it took to make this bag?