Wednesday, January 21, 2009

mahogany and amelia

MUUUUUUUUUMMMM.... he's touching my blanket...

MUUUUUUUUUMMMM.... she put her spit on me...

MUUUUUUUUUMMMM.... he touched me...

MUUUUUUUUUMMMM.... she took her shoe off...

MUUUUUUUUUMMMM.... he's looking out my window!

That's my personal favourite... he's looking out MY window!!!! What is with that one???

Such a joy to travel in the car with kids... especially when they are all tired and cranky...

The image “http://www.johannaalpacas.com.au/Lily%20Face_1.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

But it was worth it, to visit the alpacas at Johanna. Isn't this an adorable face?

Johanna Alpacas is the most serene location, nestled amongst rolling hills - with magnificent ocean views. There is a fabulous little 'Bed and Breakfast' there, which I'd love to head back to... WITHOUT the kids... someday!

But best of all, there was alpaca fleece for sale. So many divine colours to choose from. I couldn't decide... so I HAD to take two bags!

Sue and Malcolm introduced us to the herd, each one by name. I was especially keen to meet Mahogany and Amelia, since it was their fleece I would be taking home with me. And the alpacas were just as curious to meet us. They really are gorgeous creatures... and so inquisitive...

This is the fleece from Mahogany. She was pregnant at the time she was shorn, so the staple length is shorter than average... but I fell in love with the richness of her colouring.

mahogany

And this is Amelia's fleece:

amelia

So... two bags of alpaca fleece... waiting to be spun...

bags

I haven't worked with alpaca before, so if you have any tips... I'd love to hear them

10 comments:

Sicilian said...

I have often wondered what it would be like to work the alpaca wool. . . .
Ciao

heklica said...

I've never touched alpaca but from your two photos I can almost feel the softness

Sam said...

How wonderful to meet the animals whose wool you will be using. I wonder if that will inspire you in some way.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it :-)

Lol, at the window thing. My two do that on the train - a train FULL of windows!

Jackie said...

It's nice to know that kids are the same world over. My two are just the same! Love your blog :O)

bec said...

I don't have those kid issues in the car, but you took me back to my childhood! When we could play 'corners' and generally give each other hell. But she does it when she has friends over to play!

laughing purple goldfish said...

sicilian and misha - I'll let you know how it goes :)

sam - kids really would fight about anything, wouldn't they... my girl has fights with her IMAGINARY friends!!!

jackie - thanks... sounds like you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about

bec - lol! at least you don't have it all the time then :) lucky!

psmflowerlady said...

I have just received my first alpaca fleece from being processed and I have a few tips for you. 1)As you become familiar with your fleece and it's softness you should either a)close the drapes or b) make sure all clothing remains on as you roll around in the fleece. 2)The fleece does NOT need to be refrigerated, regardless of how many times you refer to it as "softer than buttah". 3) It's ok to have to remind yourself that you really do love those children, regardless of how many times you have to pretend not to hear them when you are spinning your alpaca and 4)Just because you know the names of the specific wonders from whom the fleece was shorn, you need not name any future children or grandchildren after said alpacas - although Amelia is rather pretty.

Jessica Martiele said...

I've been reading your blog for months (brilliant, by the way!) but I've never commented before...mainly because, let's face it, I have nothing intelligent to offer or contribute, nor any way to relate to your amazing ideas and ability to reuse, well, anything. (I'm jealous, and hoping to at least try one or two of the things you've done, but I've shied away from it due to the inevitability of being a dismal knitting failure.) I will say, though, because I, too, have two kids, that I'm right there with Sam...kids are the same the world over, whether in Australia or Anaheim, California. I feel your pain. And I'll be feeling it even more as my kids get a little older. (Now they just hit each other.) Cheers!

laughing purple goldfish said...

psmflowerlady - what fabulous tips :) you are obviously well acquainted with alpaca... thanks... I had a wonderful belly laugh reading you comments, and I know I will want to come back and read them again and again!

jessica - please don't think you have to have intelligent comments to post here :) just stop by and say hello! as for the kid thing... aarghhhhh... can I just say that I am going to be very pleased to send them back to school next week!!!

MTSmith said...

Do you know of any machinery that spins processed alpaca wool into single strands so we can then need a four separate strands into a single twisted cords, rather like rope?

MTSmith - Oklahoma
smithpii@aol.com