Wednesday, January 28, 2009

the milkweed project

Have you heard about The Milkweed Project yet???

click here to find out all about it...

Essentially, this is a collaborative project... they are planning to deck out the inside of a gallery so that it looks and feels like you are inside a milkweed pod. Shan is calling for knitters and crocheters from all over the world, to make a piece and send it to her... and she will be assembling them all as a part of the exhibit.

If you feel at all inspired to join in - GO FOR IT! It's a wonderful opportunity to play randomly with some yarn... you can't go wrong... seriously! Just have a play and see what you can come up with. You can drop stitches, the edges can be wavy, nothing is a MISTAKE!

I have to say a big thank you to Sam... who read about me having lost my mojo, and suggested this project as a way of helping me get back on track. Much appreciated.

I've decided to use this yarn, which I won in a competition last year. It is soft and fluffy with a little bit of sparkle... should be perfect! I think I'll work it up with my 20.0mm hook

milkweed yarn

10 comments:

Sam said...

:-)

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I have lots of ideas buzzing in my head myself. It's a good chance to experiment, without worrying about the end result :-))

Anonymous said...

hmm, i thought it was supposed to be white yarn? i was thinking about doing it, but now i'm a bit confused. :) thanks, and i love your blog!

LisaB said...

Oooh, the yarn is so beautiful! Must go check out the project. Thanks

heklica said...

I looked at the project and it is really interesting, but, yes, isn't the yarn supposed to be white or off-white? And isn't the yarn you won in that competition off-white colour?

laughing purple goldfish said...

sam - thanks again!

lauren k - hmmm... now I'm confused too... this IS white yarn... very white, very fluffy, has some faint silver threads running through it... you should definitely join in :)

lisab - join us... JOIN US!!!

misha - yes... the yarn is a white colour... just wondering what colour it looks like to everyone else?

Anonymous said...

it looks like blue on this picture... when i went to the site i almost wanted to warn you that you should use white:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for the link to The Milkweed Project. I'm always amazed at how different color looks on different monitors. The yarn as you describe it sounds perfect!

Shan

Puglette said...

yay! i joined the milkweed project too while on ravelry. i think it will be fun and exciting to be part of this art project.
hugs,
puglette
:o)

Karen said...

I can hear the Monarch butterflies clapping their wings in delight at the interest and enthusiasm for this adventure. Horray for Shan!

laughing purple goldfish said...

anon - thanks... it's definitely white :)

shan - you're welcome

puglette - yay! good on you... it's always fun to try something unusual

karen - indeed :)