Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Who Wears Short Shorts?

Yarn for shorts

Well - I don't!

But my niece has asked me to crochet her a pair...

Now I can't say that I've ever crocheted a pair of shorts before - but these ones are kinda cute. They're mostly worked in Single Crochet (US) with a little trim around the bottom of each leg.

(Here's the pattern if you want to take a peek)

My yarn arrived the other day. I figured I should probably use the recommended yarn for the project - since I actually want the shorts to fit! Mind you, it's something I don't think that I've ever done before. Using the recommended yarn for the project? Nah. I like to do my own thing...

Something else I hadn't done before? Ordering yarn online!

Yep. You heard right. I had never ordered yarn online before. Fancy that.

Shorts

Anyways.

As I was saying, the yarn arrived just the other day. Figured I should swatch to get gauge - since as I mentioned earlier - I want the shorts to fit!

The pattern calls for a 3.0 mm hook - but I needed to go down to a 1.9 mm to get gauge!

Holy Monkeys - these shorts are going to take a lifetime to make...

Shorts

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon

Just wondering who your online supplier is. Perth does not have a huge selection of reasonably priced yarns and I'm always looking for new places to buy from.

Thanks

Michelle

Sephora said...

I'm doing the same pattern! I has some old yarn I bought years ago. I'm trying to use them. I needed to use a 1.5 mm hook for the gauge!
I'm not an expert so I had to restart two times.
I hope I can finish them before the autumn!
Can I ask you a thing? I see your work is perfect. When I close the chains in a round for me forms a step... where am I wrong?

Kanchan Karai (Mogaraafulalaa) said...

The pattern looks nice. I am sure it will look beautiful in white. The yarn amazed me. Planning to buy it from Drops.

laughing purple goldfish said...

Hey Michelle...

I couldn't find anywhere in Australia to order the DROPS yarn from... So I ended up ordering from a UK supplier...

The Crochet Chain: www.thecrochetchain.co.uk

laughing purple goldfish said...

Hey Sephora...

I've had a few restarts on mine too, so don't feel bad about that!

You're not doing anything wrong - it DOES kind of step at the point where you skip a chain. I think the only purpose of the skipping chain is to make sure the chains are not too tight at the waist. So if you are in the habit of working your chains loosely, then you perhaps don't need to do the steppy thing. I wasn't sure, so I worked my chains tighter than I normally would, which makes the steps less obvious, but they are still there.

Honestly. If I was to ever make another pair, I would chain loosely, and just chain the number needed for the sc in row 1... and not miss any chains. But I'm not going back now!

Good luck with your shorts. Post a comment again, and let me know how they're going :)

laughing purple goldfish said...

Hey Kanchan...

Thanks. I think they'll look stunning in white - so fresh for the summer... Although I could never keep them clean!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sharon! I notice they have a summer clearance sale on at the moment. I feel a little retail therapy coming on...

Michelle