Thursday, November 15, 2012

I'm a hoarder.


I just can't do it...


Recycling


I tried to throw these old work shirts away.

Mr Goldfish didn't need them any more, and because they were emblazoned with a company logo they couldn't go to the Op Shop.

I'm trying to ease up on my accumulation of recycled materials - I'm starting to drown in them here and it's becoming overwhelming!

Recycling

But I just couldn't throw these shirts into the bin. I know I can make something with them....

So I've salvaged the buttons and cut the fabric into strips.

The buttons have gone straight into the jar - they're always useful, and no one could accuse them of taking up too much space...

The fabric is a different story.

I already have loads of fabric strips.

More than I  can ever imagine using.

And yet I might.... One Day!


Recycling

So I'm giving myself a month.

One month to use the fabric or toss it...

Now - what to make?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have purchased 2 hessian type bags ($4 each) & on my to do list is to make rag rugs using them as a base, & scrap/rag material for the top, I thought of braiding the fabric but thought it would be too thick to wash & dry, but the rag type one will be more open, sounds good in my head - we'll just have to see how it goes, Deb M

laughing purple goldfish said...

Hey Deb...

Sounds intriguing - I'd be really interested to hear how you go with that rag rug idea.

So of course we will want to see photos when you are finished! And if you think of it at the time, progress photos are always interesting, too.

Phyllis said...

Can you weave? These are perfect strips to weave into rag rugs or placemats. Otherwise, braided or crocheted rag rugs work very well.

The Witch on the Barn said...

We had a stall at the "Open Drawer" de stash market recently that was very successful. Crafters sold all sorts of different supplies and it was a fun and friendly day as well.

Alyssa said...

My vote is for rag rugs! My grad grandmother made them, and everyone in my family has one... even me. It's cool to know that I have something with that history. It looks pretty much like this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/105680594/hand-woven-rag-rug-in-rainbow-colors?ref=similar_items_sash

you need a loom, though!

Jaggas, a Pirralha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaggas, a Pirralha said...

Here's he first rags rug I made: http://naogostodeervilhas.blogspot.pt/2012/08/o-projecto-tapete.html
First rag project, so it needed a little adjustment (stay rolled up and tighten for 10 days) to stay straight.
I'm working on my second rags rug now, and going a lot better. Practice gets me there! :)