I conceded defeat, and asked the big question...
me: Huuuuunnnnn.... where's the iron???
he: in the bathroom cabinet, under the sink
How foolish of me not to have looked there first...
- Crochet Hairpin Lace Scarf by Lisa Gentry
- 4.0mm crochet hook
- 2" hairpin staple
- pattern calls for a much larger size to be used, but the 2" staple was the largest available to me
- Red Heart Bijou in Diamond
- NEWSFLASH: if you are using a U-shaped hairpin crochet staple, you MUST remove the top bar prior to use... it is NOT a working part of the loom... it merely acts to keep your stitches from sliding off the loom when not in use! I learned this the HARD way!!! So a big thanks to my crochet buddy Dawn, who set me straight about this particular detail...
- I discovered the hairpin lace is NOT DIFFICULT... most instructions just make it seem harder than they need to!
- this pattern is available free to members of the Lisa's Designs group on Ravelry for the month of March... along with a couple of other hairpin lace patterns
- although Lisa's instructions for the hairpin lace technique were very detailed... they just confused me!
- there is an excellent video below, which many people have found helpful... but I still couldn't master the technique
- in the end... the video below was the one which helped me figure out hairpin crochet