Wednesday, July 22, 2009

charity square #1 - jimbo's hook

supernova - red - closeup

The first of the blankets we are working on is in red, for the Country Fire Authority.

I've used a pattern called Supernova, by Chris Simon. Click here for the free online pattern.

From memory, Jimbo's hook is 5.0mm. The yarn for this project needed to be machine washable wool, which I didn't have in my recycled stash. So I made a plea to the girls in my local crochet group, and Daphne came to the rescue. The yarn is Cleckheaton Country 8ply, and it took one 50g ball.

It mentions in the pattern that you shouldn't panic if the square turns out wavy, and that you can flatten it out with your hands. Well... mine turned out REALLY, REALLY wavy! I blocked it in my usual way, and it turned out perfectly. Click here for my simple tutorial on blocking.

supernova - red

4 comments:

Sam said...

Great square! You're rather good at blocking, aren't you? I tried blocking a small square crocheted in acrylic, but it just laughed at me! *sulk*

Anonymous said...

I'm SO glad to hear that it blocks up ok, because I did the same square with the same hook at also got an incredibly wavy result. KingsvilleTess

laughing purple goldfish said...

sam - don't put up with that kind of behaviour!!! you need to assert yourself!!!! show that acrylic who is the BOSS...

laughing purple goldfish said...

tess - hmmm.... so it's not just me then! it does block well... sing out if you have any problems and I'll lend a hand :)