Friday, November 18, 2011

On my Mind.

What's on my mind today???

Well, I want to tell you all about what I did with that stained green baby dress...

I took Melissa's advice, and went with some flowers growing out of the pocket... thanks for the idea!

PB160019

So what exactly did I do?

PB150003

First I used some iron on interfacing to attach fabric shapes to the dress. Of course they were strategically positioned to cover the stains - after all, that WAS the point of the exercise, remember?

PB150004


Then got carried away in the moment and forgot to keep taking progress photos...

PB160017

But basically I embroidered around the edge of each piece.

PB160018

Added some buttons to the centre of each flower.

PB160016

Worked some blanket stitch around the neck.

PB160015

And some running stitch along the hem.

PB160024

I couldn't help but add a little heart.

PB160021

Ooooh... and I added some curly green stems...

And here's the finished dress:

PB160012

Want to see my Little One wearing it?

PB160113

She wasn't very good at lying still for the camera, but I did manage a few shots:

PB160042

PB160047

Adorable, yes?

And if you'd like to see what's on Rhonda's mind today... head on over to Down To Earth...

11 comments:

mountainwildlife said...

Thats incredible! I probably wouldn't have kept the dress in its 'before' state, now I would pay good money for it!
Love the swirly stems, and your sewing is so NEAT. I might just file that idea away for futute ref.

and yes, your little girl is adorable!

Sue xx said...

That is absolutely adorable...I hope you've been looking at her other clothes to see what embellishments you could add! (you may have created a monster). Your baby is so beautiful too...awwwww.
My DD is on my mind today, she's 28yrs old now and it was only yesterday that she rolling on rugs in hand-made baby clothes! Honest!

http://coffeee2001.blogspot.com/2011/11/friday-on-my-mind_18.html

Laura @ Our Wee Farm said...

I nipped over from Rhonda's, the dress is stunning now - so totally gorgeous! I did something not nearly so lovely once when I got bleach on a BRAND NEW top I had just made - I put some hearts on it like your flowers, but didn't do any embroidery - that is such a brill idea. Oh and your wee one is the perfect model for it!
xx

Jenny said...

Oh my! This is adorable. I used to cover my kids' stained clothes by tie dying. This takes it to a different level. Love it!

Unknown said...

I love it! I'm flattered that you liked my idea!

You're baby is so sweet :)

Kim said...

How wonderful to find an 'arty ' blog. Just visiting from down to earth today. That dress is just beautiful, I haven't done blanket stitch since I taught the kids to do christmas stockings with felt, but your post is making me want to try something crafty again.

Lilia said...

This is beautiful and such a wonderful idea. I love the idea of breathing new life into something that would otherwise double as a rag.

I am practicing my stitching skills, and they leave much to be desired. I'm a newlywed without children yet... but I hope that by the time I get there, I'll be decent enough to be able to create or at least embellish outfits for my children that I won't be embarrased to let them leave the house in.
Great job!

heklica said...

This is the cutest baby dress I have ever seen! Really!

BLD in MT said...

That is an absolutely amazing transformation! It is so, so, so cute! So is your sweet little one! Beth (popping over from Rhonda's)

Anonymous said...

Supercute!!! :D
xo,
wink

psmflowerlady said...

Wonderful! It's so nice to have you back posting. Your little one sure is growing - what a Cutie-patootie! Can see what keeps you away from the blog - I remember those days - hope you are enjoying them! BTW, that's a very nice knit blanket - did you make it too?