Monday, November 17, 2008

the beauty of nature

No craft for me today...

Just some quiet time to breathe... and reflect on the beauty around me...

butterfly house at melbourne zoo

I'm missing Mum terribly at the moment. It's only been seven short weeks since she passed away, and yet it feels like a lifetime since I last saw her.

I think that's why I am so drawn to this photograph at the moment. The butterfly is an exquisite yet delicate creature, a symbol of new life, re-birth and hope... some would say the very personification of your soul.

This particular shot was taken a couple of years ago in the Butterfly House at the Royal Melbourne Zoo. It is the Cairns Birdwing, which is the largest species of butterfly in Australia. I don't need a degree in 'sexing butterflies' to know that this one is a male... the females are not nearly so colourful!

11 comments:

Tracy said...

Hugs

Anonymous said...

What a wondeful photo and what a wonderful creature. Hugs to you xx
p.s thanks for the bag patterns in your last post. I shall be whipping some of them up soon.

heklica said...

Sending you a warm hug from this part of the world.

Sam said...

{{{hugs}}}

Dawn said...

Thinking of you and sending big hugs.

whatsonox said...

And hugs from me too - even though being English and I find it a bit hard to be quite so informal even over the airwaves. Thank you for continuing to craft and to write about it in such an inspiring way. When I see a new posting from you has arrived on my Google home page it makes feel just like my children do when they see a new comic in the mail box, and just like them I can't resist opening it up straight away to see what you've been doing.

Hugs

Earth Jeweler said...

When I was a kid, I was so attracted in spring and summer by these little blue butterflies flying above the yellow flowers in the fields next to my house.
I always answered to the question, you know, "If you were to be an animal, what would it be ?" that I wanted to be this blue butterfly, free as the wind, small and discreet, but leaving a touch of beauty on the earth.

May be your mom is a butterfly today... But I know she is with you, always...

annemarie said...

I am thinking of you also and tomorrow will be a brighter day.

Lucky-1 said...

Oh sweets...... sending you hugs with love..... It will get better and your love will always be strong for her.

Its been 15 years since my mum died...I think about her every day.

She's in your heart safe and sound.

Sanjay said...

Beautiful picture... Hugs from me to! :) It hurts to lose someone, but it will get better with time. By the way, if you're feeling upset, try listening to your favorite music.

laughing purple goldfish said...

everyone - thanks for taking the time to send your caring thoughts... really appreciated... thank you!