Wednesday, November 12, 2008

girly hands

I've been using quite a bit of sandpaper over the last few days... not my usual medium... and my hands were really suffering from it.

sandpaper and stanley

My fingers were so rough and scratchy, that they might as well have been made from sand paper. Which is an absolute nightmare for anyone who works with fibre. You find that your fingers constantly 'catch' on threads and yarns as you are working.

Well, I have a solution which I thought I would share with you. A wonderfully effective hand scrub and moisturiser all rolled into one. And you have everything you need in your very own kitchen.

I like to do this over the kitchen sink. Put half a teaspoon of SUGAR into the palm of your hand. Then drizzle about a teaspoon of OLIVE OIL over the top of the sugar. Add a few drops of WATER, and rub your hands together. If it feels too rough, just add a little more water. Scrub your hands for a couple of minutes, then wash off. You won't believe how DIVINELY SOFT they feel.

Seriously... you must try it out! Even Mr Goldfish swears by this scrub.... but don't tell the blokes at work, or they'll never let him hear the end of it.

Go... try it now... and let me know what you think...

And check back tomorrow to see what I'm up to with the sandpaper.

11 comments:

emmerliejay said...

My nan taught me to do something similar but with lard, just get a tiny bit of lard and mix with some sugar and then just sort of squish it in your hands :)
Works well on your feet as well, gets rid of dead skin!
love the blog :)
x

Meg said...

Add some peppermint oil or other essential oil and it smells LOVELY!!

Unknown said...

No preservatives or harmful chemicals ... fabulous! And ... it sounds like it would be perfect for people with allergies (that would be me).

Here's another one to add to the list. For dry, chapped lips use sugar and a drop of water ... very gently massage on and around lips, rinse and then apply a lip moisturizer.

Thanks for sharing.

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

artettina said...

Wow what a great recomendation! I damaged skin on my fingers with chemicals from refinishing wood. My hands can get rough too. I love the other suggestions in the comments as well. I think I will try this but with my coaconut oil?

winnie said...

Thanks for the recomendation.
By the way I´m in love with your blog.

laughing purple goldfish said...

emily - mmmm... sounds heavenly for your feet... I think I know what I'll be doing tonight :)

meg - peppermint would be wonderfully fresh... good tip!

small footprints - I haven't ever 'scrubbed' my lips before... I'll definitely give that a try - thanks

artettina - absolutely... try the coconut oil and see how it goes... would smell fab, too

winnie - awwww.... I'm blushing now... thank you :)

Earth Jeweler said...

Whoaa, I did what you suggested: try it now. Works like magic, better than the hand cream and then you don't want to touch anything including my computer keyboard or my beads right after.
Thanks, great tip
Virginie

annemarie said...

This is absolutely wonderful - thanks for sharing with us. I have seen sugar scrubs in stores and they are very expensive. I, too, love your blog and have learned so much from you. Thanks again.

Macatawa said...

Isn't it fabulous? I make up a jar and keep it in the kitchen near the sink. Mix canola oil [very similar to natural skin lipids], sometimes with olive oil added. Mix in brown sugar until you have a fairly thick concoction. It also removes all odors from food to the gasoline smell after pumping gas or filling equipment. Add essential oils or vanilla if you like. Makes a great gift as well. Just fill some great jars.

KAF said...

I loved that handscrub - and it felt like a lovely massage - I only stopped because it was a test run and I didn't want to do it too differently to the directions. Thanks!

laughing purple goldfish said...

virginie - so glad you tried it... isn't it wonderful... I keep touching my hands for hours afterwards... I'm so in love with the way it makes the feel

annemarie - you're most welcome...

macatawa - I wouldn't have thought to make up a batch... does the sugar stay grainy or not? because that's half the fun of the scrub

kaf - by all means, scrub as long as it feels good for :)