Tuesday, November 11, 2008

more plying

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with thoughts and suggestions about my 'pig tail' plying issues. I think I know where I'm going wrong! The main problem seems to be the lack of tension on the spool I am plying from. Too much yarn comes out at once, and it twists back on itself. So I need to play around with that some more.

One friend suggested that I practice plying with store bought yarn rather than my hand spun. That made perfect sense to me. So much time and effort goes into producing a spool of hand spun, it seems a shame to mess it up 'practising' your plying technique.

Of course, I don't actually do the 'store bought' yarn thing... but I do have a plentiful supply of yarn here, which would actually benefit from being plyed. Especially some of the cottons I have reclaimed. So I will definitely give that a go.

In the meantime, I had a play with plying one strand of handspun with one strand of reclaimed yarn. I love these colours together.

handpun and  recycled ply'

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so nice and soft. I haven't tried plying yet, I too thought the navajo plying seemed simple, you have now brought some reality to it for me.

niksblog said...

YES! an australian crafter who is cool! and therefore has access to products and shops and things that I have access to! I wish you sewed, but I have been planning to learn to crochet for over 5 years and am feeling that it's just about time to get serious - as soon as the kitchen's clean... GREAT BLOG! I follow you with interest!

Alicia @ Oh2122 said...

That looks great. I like the colors too!

Unknown said...

Is that a yarn? Just like Crocheting? I also know how to crochet but just a little bit.

Keep it up gurl.

Silly Willy said...

I like how your yarn turned out! My mommy made a scarf with yarn like that - knit loosely and your "pigtails" will be fine, even adding texture. (i.e. Extra Fuzziness!)

Sam said...

It does look fabulously soft and squeezable.

laughing purple goldfish said...

jacqui - don't be put off by my experience! it is a simple concept, but I guess the technique just needs some refining

niksblog - yay... another aussie! glad you found your way here :)

oh2122 - thanks :)

mariancalago - yes, it's a yarn... the white part I spun myself, and the blue I unraveled from an old jumper... then I twisted the two together to make this ball of yarn

canvas wall art - thanks

silly willy - thanks... I'm thinking of it as my very own NOVELTY yarn.. a real one-of-a-kind

sam - now to decide what to make with it...

egebs said...

I realy like the colors to.