Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Knitting Challenge

Thirteen the Lucky Dragon

So my brief for this month was to design a Friendly Dragon with Big Wings - and here he is!
(as chosen by our winner from the Matryoshka Challenge)

I'm calling him Thirteen the Lucky Dragon...

I've had a bit of a love-hate relationship with this one... Nothing really seemed to be going right and every new piece I added to the toy just seemed to take me further and further off course.

As I was jotting down my pattern notes, I noticed that the number 13 kept appearing over and over again... cast on 13... 13 rows of this... 13 rows of that... you get the idea.

Anyway, I was starting to think of him as Thirteen the Unlucky Dragon...

So I scrapped my efforts, and started afresh.

Second time around and things were falling into place much more happily - but I still had the name 'Thirteen' etched into my brain...

But I couldn't call him Unlucky anymore - because everything was falling into place EXACTLY as I wanted it to... And so he became Thirteen the Lucky Dragon!

Thirteen the Lucky Dragon

So, here's the plan for May...

  • Knit this toy from my pattern. 
  • Enter your project photo in this competition over at Ravelry. If you are not a Ravelry member, you can enter by emailing me your entry
  • Entries will close 31/5/12 at midnight, my time (AEST Australia, GMT+10)
  • Winner announced 2/6/12... photo of winning project will be posted here on my blog... and I'll also tell you why I chose it
  • The winner will then choose what they would like me to design for the next Knit-Along (KAL) which will be run in July 2012 (toys have been popular so far, but you can choose anything you like)
 Thirteen the Lucky Dragon3074

SO... are you in?

Want to join in the fun?

Email me for the pattern to get started - pattern will be available from 2/5/12

Thirteen the Lucky Dragon



1 comment:

Gillp said...

He is sooo cute!!