Thursday, August 7, 2008

another baby afghan

Working on one for a boy this time. Very similar to the last one, just including some greens and reds instead of pinks and yellows.

Such a simple concept really. I'm using a 4.0mm crochet hook, and a variety of different plys of cotton (in probably about eight different colours) I like to use cotton for baby blankets, because is can be machine washed and tumble dried, and comes out softer than ever!

Start with a row of chains the width you would like the blanket to be. Then work a row of single crochet along the chains. At the end of each row you need to turn your work and change colours. Randomly choose the stitch type at the beginning of each row. I choose either sc, hdc or dc... depending on my fancy. Just randomly changing colours and stitch types with each row. Don't weave in the ends... that's way too much like hard work. The ends will become the tassel when the blanket is finished.

I'm about one third of the way through at the moment...

ryan's afghan progress - closeup

click here to see the finished project

13 comments:

heklica said...

I love the colour combination!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, how I just love this blanket design! I'm saving up all my cotton scraps for a someday project. Thanks for sharing! Love the colors you chose, by the way............

Cats-Rockin-Crochet said...

I've never done much work with cotton, but I do have some stashed. It is nice to work with then?

Amy said...

I am definitely going to learn to crochet before this year is out!

laughing purple goldfish said...

Thanks for the kind words.

Amy... you must try crochet... it's not nearly as mystifying as it looks!

I enjoy working with cotton, but not everyone does! The main complaints I hear are that it is hard to work with, because it doesn't have the same 'give' as other yarns do (although I know you have worked with rags... they have NO give) The other complaint is that garments worked in cotton lose their shape too easily. I mostly use it for cloths and blankets, and it's just not an issue.

Jodie said...

Gorgeous colour combo, perfect for a boy... I love working with cotton but never knew I could put it through the dryer before, thanks for the heads up..

Jodie :)

laughing purple goldfish said...

Jodie... I learned after making cotton dishcloths... thought I'd try them through the dryer, and they came out beautifully... so I tried with my first baby afghan, with magnificent results!

haven't tried with a garment before

Anonymous said...

It was great to meet up with you today . . . and I got to touch that amazingly touchable, slinky soft blanket ! A great experience and great work !

laughing purple goldfish said...

thank you so much Cristina... isn't it wonderful to meet in real life and share our passions for craft in person? loving it!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing this baby-ghan ! (Vigorous applause!)

laughing purple goldfish said...

thanks stramenda :)

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I love the color and randomness of the pattern. Wonderful job. Can't wait to try it!

laughing purple goldfish said...

anonymous - thankyou... it's quite liberating just to choose colours and stitches randomly... and it makes your project truly unique