Tuesday, August 12, 2008

they're all the same...

I've been asked by quite a number of you about the patterns I use for my bags. Truth of the matter... there is NO pattern! But most of my bags follow the same simple format. Too easy for words - really!

Take a look at these bags. They are all essentially the same. I used the same simple formula for each of them, but used different materials, and different handles.

autumn basket

tasket (garden)

plarn bag

1

There is no fancy increasing and decreasing... if you know how to chain and work a single crochet (US) stitch... YOU CAN MAKE A BAG EASILY!!!

Tomorrow I will take you through the process... with step by step photographs along the way. You will see for yourselves how easy it is, and then you can show me what you come up with when you try it for yourself.

Oh... one other thing... a little bit of assumed knowledge here...

I will be assuming that you all know what a rectangle looks like.

Told you it was going to be easy! Really, really easy!

10 comments:

Cats-Rockin-Crochet said...

When I made my first rag bag, I should have thought more about the colour scheme but I was too impatient to get going with it. I will look forward to your lessons.

Anonymous said...

I was inspired by one of your bags when I first found your blog not that long ago that I immediately ripped up a beautiful thrifted sheet and started crocheting...and it was painful! I never actually finished it because I was unable to crochet for two days and that about killed me. :-) Any tips? Am I using a hook that's too small or perhaps too big?

Or, you know, you could ignore this question because I just realized that you might be covering the solution in your tutorial (which I'm looking forward to). :-)

laughing purple goldfish said...

emily... you might like to try a bigger hook, but more importantly I think you need to loosen your tension... because the fabric strips don't have the same 'give' or 'stretch' in them as yarn does

you need to RELAX your grip as you work... maybe even try a different way of holding your hook... when I work with yarn I use a 'pen-like' grip but when I use fabric I find I need to switch to a 'knife-like' grip

hope that helps

Wendy said...

Wow, great bags. You are realy talented.

Sue said...

Oh, wow, these are gorgeous!

I am inspired by the restrictions you work in. I often think about how within creativity we need confines, we desire them. It's within the safety of the confines that suddenly entire worlds spring forth. It's very cool ... like these bags :)

laughing purple goldfish said...

I'm inclined to agree with you Sue... I have become so much more creative in what I do, since limiting myself to working with recycled materials... thanks for stopping by

christine said...

Hi i've just discovered your blog....wonderful ideas for recycling!!Great tutorials i'll be back to check out everything.Wonderful job!!!

christine said...

Hi i've just discovered your blog..great ideas for recycling and very useful tutorials...wonderful job!!!I'll be back soon to check out everything!

laughing purple goldfish said...

thanks christine... enjoy!

Gláucia Mir said...

i'm particularly interested in the bag with the heart, in which the handle seems to be split from the rest, but it's all part of one piece. Can you explain that part? I'd love to make it for my mom for Christmas. Thanks! Just found your blog last night and loved it. Made the one-hour scarf, and now am ready for the next project.