Monday, August 4, 2008

payback

I know I have been very harsh on my hooks and needles lately...

take a look at these sad items, some broken, some merely bent

oops... broken hooks and needles

but a couple of days ago, one of the hooks bit back...

I was working on the love heart, crocheting the two pieces together. The felt was very thick, and I had to apply quite a bit of pressure to poke my 1.25mm hook through both layers. To be honest it was quite hard work.

Then at one point, I poked straight into the index finger of my left hand.

A-i-e-e-e-e-e!

I was in such complete shock... I didn't even say any naughty words. But let me tell you, that hook was embedded in my finger. I mean... actually stuck in PAST THE HOOK! I couldn't pull it straight out... because it was hooked on the inside. I had to maneuver the hook around and get it on just the right angle to remove it. At one point I truly thought I was going to pass out... but I was very brave!

7

10 comments:

Bel said...

Ohh I feel your pain.

I once had a 0.8mm hook in the finger. It killed, and it hurt to crochet. It was the worst couple of days of my life.. I even was reduced to doing.... HOUSEWORK *gasp*.

Tess said...

So is DNA embedding your new way of signing your work? Most of my milinery projects have that "feature".

Karen said...

I am impressed that you had the thought and gumption to take a photo!!!! Wonder what would have happened had you snagged a vein or artery....added it to the "well, now I know what it is like to crochet with....."

Nathalanes Place said...

I'm sorry to see your bobo, hope you're feeling better. Love the teddy we see in the other picture. I love teddies. But crochet can be hsrd onyou, I know. Especially the tiny ones. They can be d-e-a-d-l-y. By the way it's my 1st year blogoversary and am having a giveaway and I'm wondering if you could invite your friends to come over. Thanks Have a terrific day.

Sue said...

Ouch! I think that is just as bad as sitting on a knitting needle. I didnt think you could break metal crochet hooks but now I know you can. I hope the finger mends soon so you can get back to crafting.

Cats-Rockin-Crochet said...

Ouchie wow wow, I hope it hasn't stopped you from using the hook!

Purple Jenn said...

wow... maybe that is the subconscious reason I do bulky work, and therefore need larger hooks. I certainly hope I am not able to impale myself on a 9mm hook!!
I hope you heal soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh no !!!!!!!! Painful ! Hope it heals quickly. I find chocolate helps . . .

laughing purple goldfish said...

the finger is healing well... thanks for your concern... no infection which is wonderful (must have been the anti-biotic powers of the chocolate)

LIESL said...

A very talented man by the name of Mr Hendrix said that you haven't played (guitar) until your fingers have bled. I think it is quite clear that you are certainly a professional and very serious crocheter. Oh, and kudos for taking a photo while you were busy!