Saturday, December 6, 2008

what's in a name?

One thing I have noticed about kids... is just how much they LOVE seeing their own name printed on something... maybe it's the MINE factor, but whatever it is... they love it.

So a gift with a child's name on it, always goes down a treat. Something that is clearly just for them. Not for sharing... MINE... MINE... MINE... MINE... MINE...

This cushion makes for a simple gift idea. I have used a ready made cushion with a removable cover, but if your sewing skills are up to it, you could make it from scratch.

noah cushion

It's just as easy as it looks. First I cut my stars from some scrap fabrics. Then I embroidered the name on to the large star. I used some iron on interfacing to position the stars on the cushion cover, then worked a blanket stitch edging around the outline - securing the star in place.

noah cushion - closeup

It's really that simple!

I've made quite a number of these... sometimes I'll cut the individual letters from scrap material and sew them on to the cushion... just for something different.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous. The good thing about a removable cover is you can wash it when those grubby fingers have been hugging their own pillow.

Hey not sure it's a kid thing either. I love anything that I can claim as my own, if it has my name on it even better. Nothing seems to be just mine anymore ;-)

Teena said...

Oh thats beautiful! So simple to make, what a great girt idea for the kids that just have everything!
xoxoxo

annemarie said...

These are adorable - I love them - what a neat gift idea. Your blanket stitching is so even and perfect.

laughing purple goldfish said...

jacqui - sounds like the voice of experience there... surely there are no grubby little fingers in your house???

cabbage heart - perfect for exactly those kids! I agree

annemarie - thank you :)

Cats-Rockin-Crochet said...

It's so hard keeping up with you and your blog post's, they are all so great, I love this. I want to send a semi made woolen jumper to you for felting, I'd love to see what you can do with it!

laughing purple goldfish said...

cat - sounds fabulous... there are so many possibilities :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea !!! I love love love it !! What a great gift idea for the nephews !!

laughing purple goldfish said...

stramenda - glad to help!