Friday, June 20, 2008

my anniversary ring

Yesterday was my Wedding Anniversary... celebrating nine years of marital bliss!

Okay. So you all know I am stretching the truth just a little bit when I say that. Yes, we have been married for nine years. But obviously it hasn't all been marital bliss.

Mind you. We're pretty proud of ourselves. Seems like so many couples that we know are going their separate ways at the moment. We're almost starting to feel like freaks for staying together!

Despite how proud we are of our achievement, I was told in no uncertain terms by Mr Goldfish that I had received 'more than enough' jewellery last year... and not to expect any this year! It seems he wasn't joking.

So I thought it was a good excuse to start a new project. I know I'm not supposed to, but it was just a little one. Over at Silly String we were issued this challenge What’s the finest thread you can actually crochet with to create a wearable ring?

So I decided to make my own Anniversary Ring

silly string ring - materials

I knew it would be a challenge to work with such a fine thread, but I loved the gold colour and thought it would work up a treat. It was a bit of a nightmare, actually. The metallic thread was so damn slippery. I hadn't anticipated that. I ended up using a 1.75mm hook, as I just couldn't grip the thread with anything finer.

ring (on nail)

I had grand plans of creating a diamondy shaped motif which would be the feature of the ring, but I just couldn't manage it. So the finished item is simple and dainty. I even tried adding a glass bead as the 'stone' of the ring, but nothing looked right. Everything looked so chunky and out of place.

So here it is... my anniversary gift to myself.

ring (closeup)

Now if I only knew how to crochet a fully functioning dishwasher.

5 comments:

Tess said...

I thought Mr Goldfish was meant to be your dishwasher! Happy Anniversary.

ReillyClan11 said...

That is the most amazing thing I have seen in a long time! I would like to make that for my mom, could you tell me if it is one row or two? And what stick it is? Wow!
reillyclan11

laughing purple goldfish said...

reillyclan - thanks... it is crocheted using a 1.75mm hook... I worked enough chains to fit around my finger, and then one row of single crochet (US)

ReillyClan11 said...

Thank you foe the info :)
reillyclan11

laughing purple goldfish said...

reillyclan - no worries :)