Monday, June 30, 2008

more electrical cables

Mr Goldfish managed to salvage some more electrical cable for me, this time from work. Apparently it was being discarded because it is too short to be useful! Not too short for me though...

solenoid cable

This one is a seven-core cable. See all those colours inside? Count them... 1... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... 7... That makes it seven-core cable.

Unfortunately I won't be able to use those pretty colours. As is, they are just too thick to knit or crochet. In fact, when you bend them you get stress marks in the colourful plastic coating. So I will strip them even further. Right down to the copper wires.

Not sure what I will use it for. But I'm sure it would look fabulous worked up with some recycled glass beads. If you've had any experience working with copper wires like this before, please let me know. I'd love to hear any tips you might have.

2 comments:

Karen said...

You might try knitting with those cables using your arms as knitting needles. I did this with mens ties joined together into 'yarn' (tiearn?) and used my arms to get 'needles' big enough. You cast on to one arm (say four or five stitches) and then use other arm to reach down into first stitch and scoop up yarn and pull through and put on that arm. Repeat across row. Transfer the stitches to original arm and knit second row. Etc. I get an interesting effect using different yarns from ties to rope to hemp and this is why the cables came to mind as yarn.

I need advice on working with copper wire - used some very thin wire to Greek braid a ring for my little finger (which is starting to get a bump that would benefit from some copper therapy) and now don't know how to 'secure' the ends; is there a product like the fray stuff for fabric that one can use to tame copper?

Tania said...

How gorgeous would the copper wire look with green beads.

Also wanted to say thanks for being such a dedicated and interesting blogger. It always provides a great read.